Monday, June 23, 2008

Nadie se va casar con una mujer que no lava trastes - No one will marry a girl who doesn't wash dishes

"Nadie se va querer casar con una mujer que no sabe lavar trastes." That was my mother telling me no one would marry me if I didn't know how to wash dishes.  This was her attempt to get me to do chores.  It failed.  I don't know exactly how old I was when she said this, but I couldn't have been more than 13.  

Even at that age I knew I didn't want to be a housewife and I told my mother "no voy a ir a la universidad para ser criada.  Cuando me case me voy a casar con un hombre que busca una esposa no una criada." Just as I told my mother that day, I went to college, received my degree and still look to marry a man who wants to marry a partner not a maid.  

Today I am 27 years old living in DC, educated and single.  I am almost 3000 miles away from my parents wishing I knew how to cook like my mother, fix a car like my father, was as funny as my sister V., as tech savvy as my brother J. and as passionate and gifted as my brother B.  

I still don't wash dishes. 

1 comment:

leslie said...

Funny what we remember from childhood and how it can follow us. Glad you are officially posting--I will stay tuned ;)