Friday, June 27, 2008

A girl can get lost under these deep city lights

And if you’re me then you can bet money it will happen.

Wednesday night I attended the Robert Scoble & Gary Vaynerchuk D.C. Bash in Dupont. It was great catching up with people I hadn’t seen in weeks and meeting new ones. The free wine was also a plus!

Ended the night having dinner with my friend Dre and decided to walk home from Dupont. Sounds simple. As I leave the restaurant I realized I had 3 text messages from A.L who I had seen earlier at the bash. I always love talking to A.L. (and via text included) and the text conversation began. Before I knew it I had arrived to the national monument! I had been so engrossed in my text conversation that I didn’t realize I had been walking in the opposite direction.

I start to panic. I tell myself I am not lost because I know exactly where I am. However, it doesn’t help because I have no idea how I am going to get home with no cash on me. It’s too far for me to walk home at this point, and too late for me to even try that if I did it is just asking for a rape or a mugging.

I start walking home in 3 inch heels keeping my eyes open for a bus, metro stop or ATM machine. I don’t come across any of those items, and decide to try my luck with a cab. Someone was looking out for me, or I must have been a very smooth talker because the first cab I hailed agreed to take me home.

I made it home that night with just enough time to wake up my roommate and tell her all about my night. =) She’s going to return the favor one night.

1 comment:

jessicark said...

I love your blog Alma, especially this posting about getting lost while not paying attention (it's something I do quite often but mostly in a car an mostly very close to my destination.