Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Things Latina Mothers Say - "Como has Engordado" A Battle with Weight & Body Image

One thing about Latina mothers (and Latinas in general) is that they will not hold back. Latina mothers will tell you exactly what is on their mind, without hesitation. Even though my mother has lived in the United States for 30 years I am not immune because she is still a Latina, and a mother. In fact I think she works twice as hard to make sure we know what she’s thinking. Telling us in Spanish and in English ;-).

No subject is off limits either. Si tu papa la hizo hacer un coraje, you will hear about it. If you are wondering if you are wearing too much make up, she will tell you before you even ask yourself much less her. If she likes or doesn’t like your boyfriend, you and your boyfriend will both know. If you don’t have a boyfriend you will hear from your tías (because we know it’s not limited to just your mom) their hypothesis on why you don’t have a boyfriend. Then of course there is my favorite. Pointing out when you have gained or lost weight.

I don’t think this is a bad or mean thing. In fact I appreciate and find their honesty refreshing. They do it because they you and would rather tell you that you look like a payaso or piruja than have someone confuse you for one once you walk out the door.

During my last visit, my family pointed out that I had gained weight. The exact words were, “Alma, te has dejado engordar.”

After their initial shock from the extra 30 pounds my grandmother and mother explained that I didn’t look bad, but that it wasn’t like me to let myself gain so much weight.
“Te ves bien, pero tu siempre te cuidabas y no es como tu dejar que subas tanto.”

Yes, I had gained weight, but it wasn’t until I went home that someone said it out loud or acknowledged it. If I tried to say something to my friends in DC they would just say “oh, no you look fine.” There is nothing “fine” about 30 pounds.

As soon as I returned to DC I sought the help of my friend, Sidney Scruggs-Rodgers (Bodies by Sidney), voted DC’s Best Personal trainer in DC. Together I’ve started working out again, at his morning boot camp classes at Hard Training Club on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. I’ve also started running again.

I purposefully don’t own a scale, and don’t know how much weight I have lost. I can however see the difference in my measurements. Just this morning I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and couldn’t help but notice how great my butt looked. I snapped a few pictures of my nalgas and emailed them to my mom =).





3 comments:

Julie Diaz-Asper said...

So true it hurts. I think I agree with the better to hear it at home mentality. I love the backhanded compliments. "That is how I want you to look" of "finally your hair looks good" when you are looking good!

Alma said...

I love that even though our Mom's are from different nationalities we have received the same treatment & comments. :-)

Alma said...

I should note that my mom had a positive comment, well in her own way, to the results of my workout w/DC trainer Sidney Scruggs-Rodgers.

"Te quieres parecer a la J'lo o Kim Kardashian?" lol

Everyone please vote for Sidney Scruggs-Rodgers for DC's Best Personal Trainer!
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/bestofpoll/nominations/vote/981