Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I’m Mexican I was taught to make salsa not dance salsa

I love to dance. I’m not the best dancer, but I don’t care. I love the expression, the music and the workout it provides.

Latinos we love music and we love to dance. In DC I’ve noticed that not only can the majority of Latinos dance, but they would put the participants in Bailando por un Sueño, So you think you can Dance, and Dancing with the Stars to shame.

Recently I went out with DC’s Latino Professionals for a night out in the city. We proved no one can do it like Latinos!

That night my FH tried to teach me how to dance Salsa. I was surprised by two things: One that he could dance and two that he was patient to try and teach me.

I can dance salsa as long as I don’t have to touch or follow. He wanted to dance together (holding each other) which would require me to follow.

He said “It’s ok just trust me.”

“I want to but it’s not that easy for me,” I said. I’m too independent that even on the dance floor I can’t let myself go and be dependent on someone else.

Laughing I told him “FH I’m Mexican I was taught how to make salsa, not dance salsa”

“Really, you can make salsa? What kinds of salsas can you make?” he asked a little to excited.

So now I have to learn to make 5 different kinds of salsa because I don’t consider pico (tomatoes, onion, cilantro jalapeño and lime) a salsa, at least one that will do my mother and grandmother justice.

I have also signed up to take salsa lessons with the one and only Mario Salsa through DC Salsa Productions. According to FH Mario is the best person for the job!!

I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted on my salsa dancing.

2 comments:

XXL National Publisher said...

I feel ya about the whole "hard to follow" type dancing. I feel like I have two left feet most of the time.

Also have to admit that my nose got a little tweaked when I heard that you were asked "what kinds" of salsa you can make. In my house? There's only one kind. You want another kind? Go to someone else's house lol.

xxldaddyo on twitter

Vakker Kvinne said...

Your blog is awesome Alma! I love it.

How's DC?